Position Title: Surgical and/or Pain Scheduler
Department: Business Office
Supervisor: Patient Account Manager
Mission, Vision and Values:
In the performance of one’s job, the employee reflects the Mission by participating in the provision of convenient, cost-effective, quality surgical care
Schedules surgical and pain procedures as requested from surgeons and/or their office personnel, according to established Surgery Center policies. Performs a variety of clerical and record-keeping tasks related to the Surgery Center’s patient scheduling and pre-operative testing. Provides statistical data as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Accurately schedules requested local procedures, using specific policies and guidelines.
- Accurately prepares charts for patients having surgery the next day. Assist with assuring that all orders have been completed and all diagnostic results, H & P, and consent are available on the patient’s chart.
- Prepares the Center’s surgery and pain schedule daily and is responsible for timely distribution.
- Makes accurate and timely adjustments to the surgery/pain schedule, including add-ons, cancellations, and other changes. Communicates these changes appropriately, in verbal, written, and on-line forms of communication, per policy.
- Assist with accurately generating monthly statistics and other reports as requested, and distributes to Executive Director, Director of Nursing and Director of Finance and Information Systems as appropriate.
- Answers telephone using proper telephone courtesy, taking and delivering messages in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provides backup for Receptionists as needed.
- Assists visitors, staff and physicians utilizing good guest relations.
- Ensures that all appropriate documentation is entered into HST for future reference.
- Participates in the Center’s Quality Improvement Program activities including identification of aspects of care, collection and analysis of data, formulation of recommendations, implementation of an improvement plan, and evaluation of the process.
- Attends the Surgery Center’s meetings and educational opportunities.
- Maintains all required certifications. Performs efficiently in emergency situations.
- Prioritizes job responsibilities and demonstrates flexibility to meet the needs of the Surgery Center and to facilitate optimum quality of patient care.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Other duties as assigned by the Patient Account Manager.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrates clerical skills, including keyboarding a minimum of 45 words/minute and familiarity with software programs such as Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with medical terminology preferred or required to complete a course in medical terminology. Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, service oriented environment.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and to organize work in order of importance.
- Demonstrates interpersonal communication skills required to facilitate effective interaction with a variety of health care professionals. Pleasant telephone voice/manner.
- Ability to concentrate in a busy environment, and to give attention to details.
- Ability to function productively under stressful, demanding conditions.
- Ability to operate computer and other office equipment such as copy machine, fax machine, etc.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively before customers or employees of organization. Demonstrates good interpersonal communications skills. Must be able to speak and understand English as well as written communication.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations
- Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills – Assessing own strengths and weaknesses; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Clinical Competencies – Tests and exercises to be completed prior to each evaluation.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using phone; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required, climb or balance and stoop, crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Normal hospital environment with exposure to chemical odors, cleaning solvents, and other hazardous materials.
- Exposure to possible injury when working with electrical equipment and lasers which requires care and following proper safety procedures.
Sedentary ____ Primarily sitting/lifting 10 lbs maximum
Light _X_ Lifting 20 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 lbs
Medium ____ Lifting 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 20 lbs
Heavy ____ Lifting 100 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Very Heavy ____ Lifting over 100 lbs with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Based on the OSHA guidelines for protection against occupational exposure to Hepatitis and HIV, this position is described as Category I. This means that this position has exposure to blood and body fluids. Policies are in place for Universal Precautions identifying exposure risks and appropriate barrier protection.
The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.