Position Title: Patient Care Tech
Department: Pre/Post Clinical Area
Supervisor: Pre/Post Clinical Director
MISSION AND VALUES:
In the performance of one’s job, the employee reflects the mission, vision and values by participating in the provision of convenient, cost-effective and quality surgical care.
Individual performs a variety of duties in the pre and post-op departments as a member of the patient care team. Assists in pre and post-op areas with duties set forth by the director or RN scheduler. Duties may include, but are not limited to, those set forth in the Key Areas Section of this job description.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Prepares for next day schedule by assisting in stocking areas as needed or as instructed by nursing staff or RN scheduler.
- Performs EKG’s, Blood Glucose, and Hemoglobin testing when instructed by nursing staff or doctors.
- Prepares patients for surgery by assisting with weighing, pregnancy test as applicable, vital signs, Hibiclens prep and shaving as instructed by the RN and set forth per surgeon order.
- Obtains vital signs post-operatively according to facility policy or as indicated by nursing staff and/or physician.
- Assist nursing staff with transfer of patient from gurneys to post-op recovery chairs and via wheelchair upon discharge.
- Assists with patient’s dietary needs and retrieves patient’s belongings as needed and/or per nursing staff instruction.
- Answers phone in professional and courteous manner. Communicates information efficiently to appropriate personnel and/or family members as needed or instructed by nursing staff or physicians. Updates Patient Location Board as needed.
- Demonstrates appropriate dress, according to policy, at all times in the patient care areas.
- Assembles patient pre-op belongs bag and attire as instructed by nursing staff.
- Transports lab specimens, blood, to SVHHC lab or pathology as needed.
- Assists in disinfecting, cleaning and preparation of rooms in preparation for new patients.
- Assists with inventory control and stocking of supplies; complies with cost containment monitoring.
- Assists visitors, staff and physicians, utilizing good guest relations.
- Acts as a resource person to other members of the staff.
- Adheres to all infection control policies including OSHA guidelines for Universal Precautions for exposure to blood and body fluids, utilizing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and sharps handling.
- Assists in orientation of new personnel, students, and approved programs.
- Participates in the Quality Management.
- Attends and participates in in-service programs, communication groups, and staff meetings.
- Prioritizes job responsibilities to facilitate optimum patient care and utilization of resources.
- Demonstrates flexibility in meeting the needs of the Surgery Center and the clinical units.
- Performs effectively in an emergency situation.
- Works in a spirit of teamwork and trust; conducts self in professional manner and maintains professional boundaries in working with others.
- Acts in a way that is respectful to patients, families, and co-workers at all times.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Current CPR licensure
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively before customers or employees of organization. Demonstrates good interpersonal communications skills. Must be able to speak and understand English as well as written communication.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, service oriented environment.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal communication skills.
- Requires prolonged periods of standing in place and walking.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and to organize work in order of importance.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations
- Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical skills – assessing own strengths and weaknesses; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Clinical competencies – tests and exercises to be completed prior to each evaluation
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and stoop, crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Normal hospital environment with exposure to chemical odors, cleaning solvents, and other hazardous materials.
- Exposure to possible injury when working with electrical equipment and lasers which requires care and following proper safety procedures.
Sedentary ____Primarily sitting/lifting 10 lbs maximum
Light ____Lifting 20 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 lbs
Medium __x__Lifting 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 20 lbs
Heavy __ _Lifting 100 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Very Heavy ____Lifting over 100 lbs with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Based on the OSHA guidelines for protection against occupational exposure to Hepatitis and HIV, this position is described as Category I. This means that this position has exposure to blood and body fluids. Policies are in place for Universal Precautions identifying exposure risks and appropriate barrier protection.
The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.