Position Title: Patient Access Manager
Supervisor: Sr. Director of Operations and Finance
Supervises: Patient Access Specialists at Downtown and West Locations
Vision and Values
In the performance of one’s job, the employee reflects the mission, vision and values by participating in the provision of convenient, cost-effective, quality surgical care. Values: Confidentiality, Quality, Teamwork, Trust, Respect
Patient Access Manager will supervise the Patient Access Specialists and will act as their direct line of communication when dealing with employee issues within the team. The supervisory duties will include handling team communications and training as well as troubleshooting team issues. Direct coaching to patient access specialists will be done as needed. Patient Access Manager will team up with their direct supervisor or Human Resources to help with challenging issues within the department.
Under moderate supervision, admits all patients and assists patient family members. Responsibilities include multi line phone system, reception and customer service with patient registration. Position will involve managing and delegating medical record handling, data entry, and scanning medical records. Mail distribution other receptionist duties to be defined.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Greets patients and family members, verifies / obtains accurate, complete demographic and insurance information and consents on patient charts.
- Maintains multi line phone switchboard
- Be familiar with Scanning medical records
- Data entry into medical record system
- Obtains appropriate patient/guardian signatures on required forms. Creates accurate labels for charting and name bands, placing labels on all necessary documentation.
- Ensures patients and their family members’ information needs are met regarding their surgical/pain procedure or other concerns.
- Monitors and maintains waiting room and waiting room restroom for patients
- Participates in chart preparation, ensuring accuracy and confidentiality are maintained.
- Responsible for verification of completeness, and filing of all patient medical records.
- Accurately, and in a timely manner, distributes forms to appropriate areas at time of registration.
- Receives cash payments from patients and follows corresponding procedure for cash collection.
- Responsible for answering phones and taking messages, opening and distributing mail received in the afternoon.
- Acts as a liaison between recovery room, operating rooms and waiting room.
- Ensures that all appropriate documentation is entered into Patient Accounts system for future reference.
- Ensures all physicians dictate and sign all operative notes after procedures are performed. Follow-up directly with physicians if information is missing. Copies and mails surgeon’s and assistant’s copies of all transcribed reports
- Participates in the Surgery Center’s Quality Improvement Program activities including identification of opportunities for cost reductions and efficiencies.
- Attends all center meetings and educational opportunities.
- Prioritizes job responsibilities and demonstrates flexibility to meet the needs of the Surgery Center and to facilitate optimum quality of patient care.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
- Performs efficiently in emergency situations.
- Lead duties defined by immediate supervisor
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least five years of customer service experience or healthcare setting supervisor experience
- Previous experience in a supervisory role preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, service oriented environment.
- Demonstrates interpersonal communication skills in order to facilitate effective interaction with a variety of health care professionals and personnel.
- Requires strong team building skills within immediate department and business office
- Requires prolonged periods of standing in place and walking depending upon job duty
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and to organize work in order of importance.
- Ability to work independently and to organize and prioritize work efficiently to achieve the Surgery Center’s goals.
- Excellent computer skills in word, excel, outlook and data entry
- Keyboard skills of 60 wpm minimum.
- Ability to operate computer, various software packages (preferably Microsoft Office, Windows), copy machine, fax machine and scanner and other machines.
- Basic medical terminology knowledge preferred
- Healthcare field preferred
- Clinical competencies – tests and exercises to be completed prior to each evaluation.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is regularly using computer. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is frequently required to sit, use phones and climb or balance and stoop, crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Normal hospital environment with exposure to chemical odors, cleaning solvents, and other hazardous materials.
- Exposure to possible injury when working with electrical equipment and lasers which requires care and following proper safety procedures.
Sedentary ____Primarily sitting/lifting 10 lbs maximum
Light __X__Lifting 20 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 lbs
Medium ____Lifting 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 20 lbs
Heavy __ _Lifting 100 lbs maximum with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Very Heavy ____Lifting over 100 lbs with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
Based on the OSHA guidelines for protection against occupational exposure to Hepatitis and HIV, this position is described as Category I. This means that this position has exposure to blood and body fluids. Policies are in place for Universal Precautions identifying exposure risks and appropriate barrier protection.
The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.